So WHAT Happens in 6th Grade MUSIC?
We are excited your child is considering signing up for music next year. Below is a bullet point list of information you and your child may need to make an informed decision.
- Your child can sign up for band or choir or both. Band and Choir are separate classes in 6th grade with different instructors. Both classes will fit in their schedule and we have many 6th graders who currently do both.
- Band and Choir are a full school year commitment.
- Students who play flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone & percussion should sign up for band on DAY 1.
- Students who play cornet/trumpet, trombone, baritone, and tuba should sign up for band on DAY 2.
- Students are expected to play the same instrument in 6th that they played in 5th. There are exceptions (see the next posting below).
- SAES Schools will still provide all instruments and supplies for 6th graders. In most cases we will be able to provide two instruments students who play heavy instruments like the tuba and baritone.
- Students will be expected to perform at two evening concerts.
- Students are expected to do regular practice at home.
- After 6th grade there is an option to sign up for "leveled" band classes. We have Concert Band and Symphonic Band options in 7th grade. Symphonic band is an advanced level course and requires an audition before a student can sign up for the course.